Monday, October 20, 2008

Blowing Rock, North Carolina


Located high in the North Carolina hills on the Eastern Continental Divide (elevation 4,000 feet), Blowing Rock is a town for all seasons. The falls are spectacular, the winters have been compared to scenes from Currier and Ives, the springs are an explosion of wildflowers, and the summers are cool and comfortable. Perhaps that's why the population of 1,500 swells to more than 5,000 during the summer months.

Fans of Jan Karon's "Mitford" series of books will no doubt feel they've come home to Mitford upon arriving in Blowing Rock. The author lived in the town while writing her novels and used it as the model for her fictional village.

It's also one of the best places I've found to go looking for recently retired spies. Or their wives. I find myself in Blowing Rock at least three or four times a year.

I keep getting more mail from our old friend Lyle Gorch. I'm not sure if it's his real name or not so I'm keeping my distance, he sure seems to know a lot about me. He could be a spy the I outspied years ago, coming back for his revenge. Anyway here's his latest.


Anonymous Lyle Gorch said...

Mr. Hall,

I like your websight and all, and I think if you ever came to my town we could hang out (it would be cool -- you like junkyards and shooting rats, right?) -- but man I got some anger for you.

I don't if I like my letters to you being out there for everybody. I thought I was just writing you.

So I talked to Jimmy, and he talked to his brother Karl who been arrested like 40 times and shit so he knows the law good.
Karl says is you need to be getting me some fucking cash if you's going to be putting my writing there for everybody.
That got me pissed, and I broke that Richard Petty clock I bought at the Bakersfield Flee Market. It was badass to -- made outta Bud cans and driftwood by some mexican.
It had what you call "sendimental" value. And Richard Petty kicked fucking ass! Now he's retired and that Mexican's probably dead, so I'll never get me a knew one.

The ways I see it, you need to pay me. I fucking loved that clock (even if didn't work and all.)
Either that or Me, Jimmy and Karl is coming down there to whoop you ass! Karl knows karate so we're serious.

-Lyle Gorch


P.S. - Don't get pissed Mr. Hall. I had to write that shit about whooping you ass cuz Karl and Jimmy was in the room.
I didn't want to look like a pussy while I was writing this and talking it to them.
Don't worry about me though. They'll never know I aopologized cuz they can't read. And I ain't going to tell them neither.

I was lying about Karl knowing karate to. He said you'd be scared if I said that--worrying about numchucks and flying stars and shit -- but he don't know shit -- he just thinks Jackie Chan movies rock.

October 15, 2008 11:27 AM

Delete
Anonymous lyle Gorch said...

Mr. Hall,

It's Lyle again. Who you doing?

I ain't doing to well cause you ain't never answer my question. What in the hells going on?
Maybe I scared you by saying I was goign to kick you ass? But I hope not.
I was got fooling you and I guess showing off for Jimmy and Karl -- but like I said don't worry about them. They to ignorant to reed.

It's just that I wrote to you like two days ago and and still nothing.
I'm a little upset. I couldn't even drink no gas last night (and that ain't happened since the day Dale Ernhardt died and when Channel 29 stopped playing Hee-Haw. Well, I also got pretty upset when Brittney shaved her head -- like some kind of freak or some shit!).
Even UFC wasn't no fun to watch last ight. I even tried watching some Mama's Family DVD's I gots from Jimmy for my birthday last year -- that didn't work neither. Fucking nothing.
Well, I did drink some gas before falling asleep on the couch.

I juts keep telling myself that you on some spy mission or some shit. And maybe you to busy chasing Russians (or was it Americans -- I can't remember. Wait is you a double-spy? Damn, thatd' be way cool) to write some shit.

It's just that I like to read about all them towns you visit, wishing it was me.
Sometimes I hate my town. I lived here my hole damn life so I get bored sometimes. We do have Squirrel season, but there ain't no real reason to live here.

But it's cool.

I got Satellite TV and there's lots of gas stations here (if you knows what I mean). You should visit -- we also got midget races every Saturday at the Bardstown Track just outside of town.

One good bit of news ... I gots my job at the bowling alley back. Mr. Dinkle said he had three Mexicans working for the same cash he paid me, but once rhubarb season hit -- they was gone. So he needed me back.

Mr. Dinkle also said that Jimmy could never come back cause he's a fucking drug addict. I neer busted a gut when I heard him say that.
Mr. Dinkle don't know shit. I can drink way more gas and huff way more of just about anything compared to Jimmy. (The only thing Jimmy can do more than me is he once beet me in a candy-corn eating contest. He eight 10 hole bags from KMart -- I eight seven and a half.)
Jimmy's almost as big a pussy as that Tyler dude who keeps fucking with you.
Even if Tyler thinks Tom Cruise is as Gay as I do, I still think he's the real candy ass.
You should watch out for that guy. I found a letter writing place of his out here on the interweb. I think I'm gitting in his head.

But if I ever see him ... I'd hit him square in the face ... BOOM!! ... like the floor does Jimmy after he just dranks a hole gallon of unleaded!

Your pal,

Lyle Gorch


P.S. Now that I'm think about it, you should come to visit during Squirrel season. Like I always says to Jimmy, You ain't living till you shoot a family of Squirrels in face when you wasted on gas!

Squirrel season starts the day after Thanksgiving in these parts, case your wondering.


Lets this be a warning to you Mr. Lyle Gorche, if that's your real name.




2 comments:

  1. Mr. Hall,

    I'm glad to reed something new from you today. It made my weekend all the more better (I had a funass weekend to -- Me and Jimmy watched Top Gun and Days of Thunder like five times and shit. Thems two of my favorite movies with Fag actors.)

    Anyway, I thinks it funny you put that picture at the bottom of you last writing. Looks like to me that your making up ideas about whats you want to do when you visit me.

    Tieng somebodys up to a tree and shooting them would be awesome! I ain't never done that before -- usually juts squirrels, rats and other shit --- well Me and Jimmy did shoot somes of that Russian's goats one night but thats cause they drank some of our gas. Besides, we didn't ty them up or nothing, cause theys was already passed out when we shot them up.
    Either way, I wants to do that with you bad!

    I juts dont no wheres we could find someone to ty up -- but I'll leave that shit to you, since you a spy and shit.
    Maybe we could trick that Tyler fag to come visit whens you here.
    We could tell hims that theres a meeting of the Fancy Pants or something.
    Or maybe that Jay Z and Tom Cruise is filming a movie here?

    What do yous think?

    Your pal,

    Lyle GOrch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Hall,

    You should reed what I just wrote on that Tylers interweb writing place.
    http://thingsithinkithinkithink.blogspot.com/

    Do you think it will work? I fucking hope so.

    If not we can tri my idea about Tom Cruise and Jay Z. I meen, who wouldn't fall for that.

    Your pal,

    Lyle Gorch

    ReplyDelete