Thursday, August 21, 2008

Canton, Kansas


A friend of the DD recently pointed out to me, that popular television host, Stephen Colbert has been doing a little "small town reviewing" of his own. Well, we'll see if he's got his finger on the pulse of what makes a small town worth it's weight in violated farm animals.

Apparently, Mr. Colbert has been giving towns with the name of Canton quite a time. We'll I decided to go Canton, and see if Mr. Colbert can match Bob Hall in the world of review. The challenge here is that there are at least eight Cantons in these United States. So I picked Canton, Kansas.

Canton is a city in McPherson County, Kansas, United States. The population was 829 at the 2000 census; the estimated population as of July 1, 2007, was 797.

The first thing you notice about Canton is that it has two water towers, one says hot, the other says cold. This apparently was to attract tourists, I would have recommended getting rid of the open sewage pond in the middle of town square, but I guess both towers have normal tempatured water. Besides, how many tourists are gonna come to a town with 829 people. Not, many, my guess.


This is a picture of city hall I took. No shit. It also doubles as the police station, jail, and village bar, a quaint b&b. You wake up next to the prisoners.



Apparently they have a wildlife refuge in Canton, although i didn't see it. I did see a small dim-sum cart being wheeled around by a man named Ho. The best pork buns I've ever had. Ho is a legend in town, everybody knows him and loves him.

No comments:

Post a Comment